Join the June 8 Blog Action Day to Save our Coral Reefs and Seas!
Our beautiful and diverse marine resources and wealth need your attention and your help. They are under attack.
Exploitative foreign firms, in tandem with local partners and left unchecked by irresponsible government officials, are illegally harvesting and peddling our precious coral reefs. In one case, coral reefs twice the size of Manila was destroyed, and the plunder continues.
We cannot accept this. We must act now to save what’s left of our coral reefs and to protect our seas so those beautiful and important natural resources are preserved for our and the next generations to enjoy.
We call on all Filipino bloggers, Tumblr and Posterous users, Tweeps, Plurkers and all netizens to join the June 8 International Blog Action Day to save our seas and coral reefs. Your voices, our actions are that important.
What we will do:
- Tweet, Plurk, or post to spread the word about this event: Share or repost this announcement (and please link back to this post).
- Use the Twitter hashtag #reefwatchPH and/or #savePHseas.
- Spread the savephilippineseas.com URL.
- Display and share our official campaign badge (see below).
- Register your website/blog to let us know that you’re joining our effort to spread the word — you’ll find the registration form on the sidebar of this site. If you’re using more than one site (no Facebook or Twitter URLs, please), register each of them separately.
- Most importantly, on June 8, join the Blog Action Day from your favorite social media channels (blog, Tumblr, Posterous, Twitter, Plurk, Facebook, etc.)
Some ideas and suggestions
While the issue is serious, there are a lot of creative ways to send our message across on or before June 8:
- An open letter to officials and companies.
- A photo essay about your favorite beaches or dive spots.
- Design and share mini-posters, posters and drawings.
- If you grew up near a beach, tell us about your fond memories.
- Post about why your (future) kids and future grandkids ought to have the chance to see and enjoy our coral reefs and seas.
- Why harvesting and peddling corals is bad for the environment and is bad business.
- Proposals on how to protect or clean up our seas.
- If you belong to a clan, group, or organization, invite them to join the event.
NOW is the time to act
We can do this. Let’s make our social media work for something good. Let’s make Philippine coral reefs, seas and the need to save them the trend – to raise awareness, to inspire action, to grow our communities, and to compel government action.
Blog Action Day campaign badges
Please use any of the codes below to display the Save Philippine Seas badge on your website or blog.
640×180-pixel image (shown here reduced to 75% size)